Monday, March 2, 2009

NCLB and "Teaching to the Test"

No Child Left Behind has not had an effect on my classroom. I do not teach Math or English, and there has been no demands on me to prepare my students for standardized tests, except for writing my "essay" questions in HSPA-style. Therefore, I do not spend any time "teaching to the test," as it applies to standardized testing. In my own way, I do teach to the test, as I write all of my tests myself, and make sure I teach my students everything on them. When reviewing for tests, we play games that include questions directly (and indirectly) from the tests.
No Child Left Behind includes high stakes testing; if the students do not pass these tests they will not graduate high school. If I did have to prepare my students for such tests, I would undoubtedly join the masses and "teach to the test," but I hope I would not do so to such an extent as to only teach test subject matter. Is there a way to do both? Or do these lessons ultimately consume all of a teacher's time?

No comments:

Post a Comment