Saturday, February 21, 2009

Use of Standardized Test Results

Standardized test results are used for a number of purposes at my school:

By the English and Math departments:

  • to help guide instruction, students spend time in class doing HSPA-style writing prompts and math problems to improve their scores
  • scores do not predict which level class a student is in, their success in the year's previous class does

By Guidance:

  • in scheduling,does a student who previously failed need a remediation course to help them pass the HSPA next time?

By Special Services:

  • they use 8th grade test scores to determine if a student should be exempt from having to pass the HSPA in order to graduate

By the principal and superintendent:

  • they use scores to look at the bigger picture, in terms of how well we are teaching our students, and to plan future programs to increase scores

By me:

  • As a history teacher, I do not use the data from standardized scores at all
  • I do assist the English department by writing my essay questions in the HSPA-style, thus making the students more familiar by the time they take the actual test. This is mandated by my supervisor, and is something I have no problem doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment