Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Q&A #2

Q: How are you going to implement what we've learned in this class into your teaching and/or supervising?
A: I have already implemented a few things...


  • First I started with a blog. Then I made the blog more of a dialogue between my students by having them comment on each other's ( The Sociological Perspective)

  • I give more effective feedback on their written work

  • I tried that "Organized Conversation" (that's not what it was called, was it?) activity we did a couple of weeks ago. My students exhausted all ideas after the first 2 turns, so we're going to work on that again. A lot.

  • My final project is to re-write a unit of my curriculum in the UBD model. If it is successful, I might put some effort in over the summer and do all of my units.
  • I plan on having a cooperative learning activity for my students' final project using collaboration, technology, and self-evaluation.

Michelle's question about having one curriculum model for everyone to use: I think this is a really good question. Last week we all presented different examples of curriculum from different schools. Even the schools using UBD (Roxbury and Hackettstown) use the model in different ways. Hackettstown's had a lot more information (which is not necessarily a good thing) than Roxbury's. Roxbury's seemed to be more useful and concise. Shouldn't there be a mandatory format that everyone should use? With Grant Wiggins' input into the NJCCCS, I think more and more schools will begin to use UBD to format their curriculum. But should it be mandatory? I don't see why not, as long as schools could be trained for free.


No comments:

Post a Comment