Monday, February 16, 2009

Time Spent Test-Taking

In response to the amount of time I spend giving tests in my classroom, I would say the following:

Tests have a number of purposes in my classroom... I use them to make sure the students are learning the material in my objectives; I use the data to assess where I need to spend more time; and I use them to teach responsibility (students must study and be prepared otherwise there are severe consequences as evidenced by their grades). My class is a junior/senior elective, and I do not give grades for most of the activities we do in class. In an effort to make the class more like a college-level class (they do receive dual credit through the community college), I only give grades for papers and tests. It behooves the students to have more tests than less in case they receive a poor grade on one.

I do not have much of a response for the latter part of the question. There are no state tests given for sociology, nor history. If I did, I would spend plenty of time practicing tests similar to the state tests because practice makes perfect. Again, it is beneficial to the students to be prepared, and not have to "wing it."

No comments:

Post a Comment